GHC News: Tips for Networking at GHC
By Carolyn Strobel, Marketing Manager, Anita Borg Institute
￼GHC is a great place to meet people from other organizations and expand your network. Whether this is your first conference or you just want a refresher on how to make the most out of meeting people at a conference, here are some key dos and don’ts for networking at GHC. If you’re feeling nervous about meeting people at GHC, remember: everyone else is there to meet people as well!
- Wear your badge visibly
- Speak! Smile! (Don’t just stand there)
- Have discussions with presenters after their presentation
- Talk to the person sitting next to you
- Bring business cards
- Make lunch/dinner plans
- Participate in hall talk
- Attend social activities
- Get your friends/co-workers and people you have just met to introduce you to others
- Don’t hide out
- Don’t hang around with your friends
- Don’t hide behind your computer or smartphone
- Don’t put too much stock in a single, short conversation
- Don’t hang onto a conversation for too long
- Don’t interrupt private or heavy technical conversations
- Don’t be overly negative/critical
- Don’t get discouraged!
No Comments »
No comments yet.