INFORMATION FOR GHC SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
If your scholarship includes travel reimbursement funds, please submit your expense report by December 5, 2011.
Checks will be mailed to the US and Canada. Wire transfers will be processed for those outside of the US and Canada (unless a check is requested).
Scholars are responsible for any costs incurred that exceed their travel award amount.
Please contact us with questions.
About the Scholarships
GHC scholarships cover a combination of conference registration (which includes most meals), lodging, and fixed amount of travel reimbursement funds. The majority of scholarships are awarded to undergraduate and graduate students, however, junior faculty, members of non-governmental organizations, and non-profits are eligible to apply.
GHC student scholarships are made possible by generous donations from the National Science Foundation and corporations. If your organization is interested in sponsoring scholarships please contact us.
Preparing for the Application Process
Applicants are asked to submit an essay, r√©sum√©/CV, GPA (grade point average) & class rank and letter of reference (to be uploaded by your reference). Only undergraduate and graduate students are required to submit a letter of reference.
You can prepare for the scholarship application process by:
- Consider participating in the conference. Although not guaranteed, the Scholarship Committee tries to award funding to scholarship applicants who have been selected to participate in the conference.
- Find a faculty member to serve as a reference. You will be required to submit the name and contact information for your reference; they will receive an email with instructions for uploading your letter of reference. By identifying your reference writer early you will allow them more time to write you a thoughtful letter which will outline your leadership qualities, academic standing and interests as a technologist.
- Seek out resources for additional funding. The Scholarship Committee takes into consideration applicants who have already obtained partial funding. This allows the committee to award more scholarships to deserving applicants from the pool of scholarship funds. Please review the Recommendations for Funding listed below to find ideas about seeking out additional funding.
Recommendations for Funding
In the past, successful applicants have received substantial matching funds from their departments or sponsoring companies. We suggest that:
- Assume a leadership role by contacting several of the women in your computer science classes or women-in-computing organization, telling them that you intend to consult with a member (or members) of your department who support(s) gender equity.
- Have your group brainstorm names of people to approach regarding funding for GHC 2011 and then explore ways to approach them.
- Approach your department and suggest that they consider becoming an Academic Sponsor for the conference. Student scholarships are a major benefit of Academic sponsorship
- If you are unable to secure total funding for GHC 2011, then fill out our online scholarship application. Remember that partial funding strengthens your application, because it allows us to sponsor more women to attend GHC. We recommend that you subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date on any new information and upcoming deadlines.